Good Morning, Broncos fans! Although Denver has reportedly shown interest in free agent safety Mike Mitchell and is expected to go after T.J. Ward, one of their own free agent safeties is hoping to stick around.
Mike Adams, who started seven games at free safety after the frightening leg injury suffered by Rahim Moore, says he'd like to finish his career with the Broncos.
According to Adams, time spent with Jack Del Rio last week has him optimistic for a third year in Denver.
Ward, who turned 27 in December, was drafted 38th overall in 2010 by then-Cleveland GM and current Broncos pro personnel director Tom Heckert.
Denver has already signed a slew of former Browns players this offseason, but Ward would be the highest profile addition, by far.
Mitchell spent his first four seasons with the Raiders, who drafted him in the second round of the 2009 Draft.
Good Morning, Broncos fans! Once Denver made clear they were moving on from Trindon Holliday, and Chicago did the same with Devin Hester, we were intrigued.
However, as we noted, Hester has also had some major fumbling problems (4.64% of his career touches), albeit not nearly as severe as Holliday (8.27%).
The other problem with Hester is that he doesn't add a whole lot on offense. Of course, any contribution at all is infinitely more than what Holliday brings to the table.
Making matters worse, the soon-to-be ex-Bear would cost a whole lot more than does Holliday.
As expected, the Broncos have tendered restricted free agents Chris Harris (second round, $2.187M) and Mitch Unrein (right of first refusal, $1.431M), and nontendered Trindon Holliday.
If you don't consider middle linebacker one of Denver’s biggest issues, please raise your hand. There will be men in white coats coming around to take you for a nice car ride soon...
We all know that the Mike has been problematic for Denver ever since Al Wilson went down with a neck injury back in 2006.
There’s been a laundry list of people who stepped in and did their best, but none were truly up to the job. I thought Wesley Woodyard was the best of the group (especially in coverage), but he’s a bit too small to hold up to the runs up the middle. That showed last season.
Happy Friday, Broncos fans! With Champ Bailey out of the picture, there's no longer any doubt that Denver will be pursuing cornerbacks this offseason.
Mike Klis maintains the team will try to re-sign Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and he's sticking to his estimate of $6.5M-7M per year.
We're sticking to our opinion that such a number won't get it done - the salary cap has increased by more than 8% over 2013, and that has to change the calculus of free agency this year.
Meanwhile, Klis confirms Mike Chappell's report that Denver was prepared to pay D'Qwell Jackson a contract similar to what he got from Indy.
According to PFT, the Broncos have opted not to tender return man Trindon Holliday as a restricted free agent.
Instead, the boom-or-bust player will be free to sign with any team, for a salary that we believe could be as low as $570K.
The Broncos announced their release of Champ Bailey on Thursday afternoon. Said John Elway in a statement:
This was a difficult decision for our team with everything that Champ Bailey has meant to the Denver Broncos and this community over the last 10 years. Without question, he’s among the best cornerbacks to ever play the game and one of the finest players in the history of the Broncos. You couldn’t ask for more in a player than what Champ brought to this team. His combination of elite talent, class, leadership and competitiveness made him one of the all-time greats.
Not defending #colts paying D'Qwell Jackson $22 mill/$11 mill guaranteed. But Denver, Tenn and Miami would have ponied up that much.— Mike Chappell (@mchappell51) March 6, 2014