According to Mike Klis, if the Broncos end up parting ways with Elvis Dumervil, former Colts DE Dwight Freeney could end up being his older, cheaper replacement. As Klis tells it, potentially cutting Dumervil would be more about conserving cash than cap space.
Meanwhile, Kansas City kept its busy week going on Wednesday by releasing right tackle Eric Winston. On Monday, the team had signed WR Dwayne Bowe and P Dustin Colquitt to long-term deals, and applied its franchise tender to LT Branden Albert.
The tagging of Albert and subsequent release of Winston has prompted speculation that the Chiefs will draft a new left tackle with the first-overall pick in April's draft, and shift Albert over to the right side. But according to some since-deleted tweets, Albert is not fond of the idea and sees himself as a left tackle.
Nothing particularly new about this, but Brandon Stokley says he'd like to stay with the Broncos for one more season.
As expected, A.J. The Head Smith has been hired as a "Senior Executive" in Washington. LOL.
Former Broncos draft bust Jarvis Moss, who was out of the NFL in 2012, will work out for the Cowboys today.
According to Chris Mortensen, the Niners - who had been considered the likeliest suitors for Darrelle Revis after news broke of the Alex Smith trade - are hardly interested in Revis at all. Of course, Jim Harbaugh still claims the team doesn't even know who Peyton Manning is, so there's that.
Meanwhile, Incarcerated Bob continues to report that the Broncos are in on Revis, even characterizing them as having made an aggressive offer for the 27-year old. For his part, Jeff Legwold is having none of it. If Revis is indeed seeking around $16M per year, as the ESPN story indicates, then we'd have to side with Legwold on this one.
Although it had been reported that Wes Welker was nearing a multi-year deal with the Patriots, he's now expected to test the free agent waters before anything happens with New England.
A week after they leaked the scandalous news that Nnamdi Asomugha isn't a particularly sociable fellow, Howard Eskin reported the Eagles would release the former All-Universe cornerback, whom they'd signed to a $60M deal just two summers ago. For his troubles, the ex-Raider would be paid the $4M remaining of the $25M guaranteed in that contract; Philly is disputing the report, and rather emphatically.
In fact, the blowback was so swift and severe, that Eskin has already retracted his report, but says the move will happen eventually.
Updated 9:30pm ET