Good Afternoon, Broncos fans! With the draft just a day away, let's open with a summary of the biggest rumors floating around - mostly centering around A&M's Johnny Manziel:
- Even while many are complaining about the tardiness of this draft, the NFL is apparently thinking of pushing it back even farther next year.
- After ESPN reported that Cleveland was likely to draft Manziel at #4, Jay Glazer reported that they definitely wouldn't be doing so. Interestingly, Glazer's report appears to have prompted ESPN to pull their own version.
- PFT hears the Bucs could move up to the #2 pick in order to take the former Heisman winner.
- If that doesn't happen, speculation is growing that Jacksonville will take Johnny Football at #3.
- There's talk that both Houston (#1) and St. Louis (#2) would like to move down, with the Jets reportedly interested in heading in the opposite direction.
- Detroit is a potential trade partner, with Sammy Watkins the reported target.
- John Clayton expects a first round dominated by quarterbacks, wideouts, and offensive linemen.
- Mike Freeman is pretty sure the Patriots will draft a quarterback to someday succeed Tom Brady. If you're wondering, Brady is the very same age that Peyton Manning was when Denver drafted Brock Osweiler.
Troy Renck further discusses the possibility that Denver moves up to take a middle linebacker, adding that they've shown interest in BYU's Kyle Van Noy.
Andrew Mason considers draft prospects who might take over for the Broncos in the return game.
In his latest mailbag, Mike Klis suggests that Nate Irving could be filling in at Sam to help ease Von Miller back from ACL surgery, into the first month or two of the season.
Jeff Legwold discusses guards Xavier Su'a-Filo and Gabe Jackson as possibilities for Denver, but omits Su'a-Filo's visit to Dove Valley. Such a weird version of journalism.
FWIW, an NFC scout told Freeman that John Elway might be the best GM in the league.
The NFLPA has filed a grievance on behalf of Jimmy Graham, over the Saints' having tendered him as a tight end rather than a wide receiver.
Kansas City is said to be willing to trade corner Brandon Flowers for draft picks; Tampa Bay reportedly wants a second-rounder in return for Mike Glennon, while Washington has apparently received little interest in Kirk Cousins.
Buffalo DT Marcell Dareus was arrested for possession of synthetic marijuana.
The Jets are the latest No Females League team to have been sued by a current or former cheerleader over compensation.
Roger Goodell's Twitter chat went about as well as anyone familiar with these things might have expected.
According to Jack Bechta, teams are already recruiting players in anticipation of them going undrafted.
The Shutdown Corner guys list their top ten prospects, scout Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater, and have Denver taking either Ra'Shede Hageman, Jordan Matthews, or Kyle Fuller at #31 in their mock draft.
Mike Tanier and Russ Lande offer their thoughts on top prospects at each position.
Bucky Brooks compares the pass rushing prospects of Kony Ealy and Dee Ford.
Andrew Healy examines the likelihood of drafting stars out of smaller schools.
According to PFF's data, Montee Ball was one of the more productive backs in the league when he was able to shake off first contact last year.
Will Leitch considers the absurdity of how the Michael Sam conversation has shifted of late.
Gil Brandt apparently can't decide whether 9.25" hands are small, big, or just right for a quarterback.