An arrest warrant has reportedly been issued Friday morning for Pats tight end Aaron Hernandez in connection with the execution-style murder of 27-year-old semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd.
According to CBS Boston, and as originally reported by WBZ NewsRadio 1030, Hernandez will be charged with obstruction of justice, with the possibility for upgraded or additional charges. The 23-year-old star has reportedly been uncooperative since retaining legal representation, and this charge is seen as being intended to compel his cooperation.
The warrant follows reports that Hernandez's cellphone and the hard drive for the video surveillance system at his home had been severely damaged, and that a cleaning crew had been brought to the house on Monday.
Conflicting with those reports, the Boston Globe says no warrant has been issued.
Furthermore, Ian Rapoport cites a clerk at the court were such a warrant would be filed, in reporting that there are currently no arrest warrants out. However, Rapoport adds that three search warrants in the case have been issued.
ABC News is sticking with its report that an arrest warrant will be executed, and that Hernandez will face an obstruction of justice charge.
It was reported last night that neighbors heard gunshots early Monday morning before seeing Hernandez and two others walk into his house; Lloyd's bullet-ridden body was found Monday afternoon in an industrial park within a mile of Hernandez's house.
According to the Globe, authorities reportedly have video placing Hernandez and Lloyd together in Boston early on Monday morning.
Per that same Globe article, Lloyd was shot multiple times, and it's been determined that he was killed where his body was found.
In a surreal scene reminiscent of the O.J. Simpson car chase of 19 years ago, Hernandez was trailed in his SUV by news helicopters on Thursday. They followed him to Gillette Stadium, to a gas station, and to an office building where his attorneys are located.
The Boston Herald has since reported that Hernandez went to the stadium to work out, but that he was kicked out of the facility.
According to Rapoport, Hernandez was asked to leave the facility by Patriots security, out of a concern that a media stakeout would ensue.
According to the Herald, Hernandez and Lloyd were seated together in the VIP section of a Boston nightclub on Friday night.
- ESPN's Lester Munson says to expect that Hernandez will surrender and post bond today
- Hernandez apparently threatened then-teammate Wes Welker within days of his having been drafted by the Pats (via PFT)
- Doug Farrar sees parallels between the Hernandez case and that of Ray Lewis's from 13 years ago
- But even if obstruction of justice is as far as the charges go, Mike Florio says the NFL's conduct policy under Roger Goodell figures to come down much harder upon Hernandez than his predecessor did in the Lewis case
- Ron Borges suggests that the aura of a Patriot Way in which the team only pursued so-called high-character players was never a reality, as this story underlines
- Via KSK, Hernandez's guide to being investigated for murder, hot off the presses
Updated 12:59pm ET