San Diego released 16th-year LB Takeo Spikes, who had been scheduled to make $3M in his third season with the Chargers.
Jeff Legwold wonders if D.J. Williams could end up following Mike McCoy to the Whale's Vagina to replace Spikes.
Incarcerated Bob says John Elway will pull out of the Darrelle Revis sweeps if LOLJets GM John Idzik doesn't make a decision soon. (h/t AldenBrown)
Vic Lombardi and Jason La Canfora report that the Broncos are looking to lower the $12M salary of DE Elvis Dumervil, and that if he's unwilling, the team may release him. Here's how La Canfora puts it:
Broncos like pass rusher Elvis Dumervil, but not at $12M/year. They are seeking a lower deal, and situation could end up with his release. Broncos paying Manning $20M/year, Bailey is around $10M, and Von Miller will be getting paid huge soon enough.
Albert Breer offers similar thoughts:
Denver is indeed looking for Elvis Dumervil to take a paycut. It's not his cap number ($13.6M) but his salary ($12M) that's the problem. So with Dumervil and Denver, this likely wouldn't be a restructure. He's simply making too much money relative to his production now. Remember, Denver's cap has been managed well. They'll have room to take care of guys like Decker, Thomas and Miller in coming years
According to Mike Klis, if the Broncos end up parting ways with Elvis Dumervil, former Colts DE Dwight Freeney could end up being his older, cheaper replacement. As Klis tells it, potentially cutting Dumervil would be more about conserving cash than cap space.
Meanwhile, Kansas City kept its busy week going on Wednesday by releasing right tackle Eric Winston. On Monday, the team had signed WR Dwayne Bowe and P Dustin Colquitt to long-term deals, and applied its franchise tender to LT Branden Albert.
The tagging of Albert and subsequent release of Winston has prompted speculation that the Chiefs will draft a new left tackle with the first-overall pick in April's draft, and shift Albert over to the right side. But according to some since-deleted tweets, Albert is not fond of the idea and sees himself as a left tackle.
But there is some context...
Prior to today's franchise tender deadline, Denver LT Ryan Clady, Cincy DE Michael Johnson, Buffalo S Jairus Byrd, Indy punter Pat McAfee, and Chicago DT Henry Melton were tagged.
The Titans had been likely to tender TE Jared Cook, but expectations that Cook would dispute being tagged as a TE rather than a WR have contributed to Tennessee opting not to tag him.
Kansas City had a flurry of activity, agreeing to new contracts with WR Dwayne Bowe and P Dustin Colquitt, and tagging LT Branden Albert.
As expected, the Broncos have placed their franchise tag on left tacke Ryan Clady. However, the team has wisely opted to apply the non-exclusive tender to their All-Pro, meaning other teams will have the opportunity to sign Clady away, at the cost of two first-round picks to Denver.
It had been speculated that Denver would use an exclusive tag, meaning Clady wouldn't have had the chance to negotiate with other teams. But as we had suggested two weeks ago, there are plenty of solid reasons for the Broncos to go the non-exclusive route.
The NFL has set the 2013 salary cap at $123M per team, which is an increase of $2.4M over the 2012 figure of $120.6M. There's some confusion here, as Chris Mortensen says the figure is actually $123.9M, but given that Albert Breer works for the NFL and acknowledges the discrepancy, we'll trust that he has the correct number at $123M flat.
According to USA Today's salary site Spotrac, this means the Broncos currently have a healthy $17,769,751 in available cap space.
According to Jay Glazer, the not-so-mysterious mystery team said to be acquiring Niners QB Alex Smith is indeed the Chiefs.
Reports on the compensation heading to San Francisco is varying wildly - Tim Kawakami says it's a second-rounder this April and a "similar pick" next year, while Jason La Canfora continues to expect that it's a more modest third- or fourth-rounder.
Like Kawakami, Adam Schefter is hearing the trade will include multiple picks, although he doesn't suggest which rounds they'll be from.
Philadelphia released Cullen Jenkins today rather than pay him a looming $1M roster bonus. Jenkins had been due to earn $5.5M in compensation in 2013, the third season of a five-year, $25M deal signed in 2011.
The 32-year-old defensive tackle had reportedly been a target of the Broncos heading into 2011's post-lockout free agency, but along with Seattle's Brandon Mebane, he priced himself out of Denver's comfort zone.
Cullen's deal with the Eagles (as part of their now defunct self-dubbed Dream Team) was a unique one, scheduling for him to make $12.5M in 2012, when he took a cut down to an $800K salary, along with his $5M roster bonus.
It's one of the biggest questions that's hung over the Broncos' 2012 and 2013 offseasons. Actually, make that two.
How much money does Ryan Clady want, and is Denver willing to pay it?
Last summer, we were told the left tackle was seeking a deal to trump that of Cleveland's Joe Thomas, who got $44M in guarantees as part of a seven-year extension. That deal was agreed upon while Thomas was still under contract for one year with the Browns, and amounted to an eight-year deal worth $80.5M in total.
Denver's response was a reported five-year offer worth $50M, including $28M in guarantees, which would have replaced the $3.5M he ultimately drew last season.