News

Report: Hernandez possible suspect in 2012 double murder; may be related to Lloyd’s slaying

According to Boston's Fox 25, accused murderer and former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez is being investigated as a possible suspect in a 2012 double homicide (via CBS).

Early on the morning of July 16, 2012, three men were shot, two of them fatally, while sitting in a car at the Boston intersection of Shawmut Avenue and Herald Street. The victims were reportedly involved in a nightclub fight with a group that included Hernandez; witnesses said the shooters were in a silver SUV with Rhode Island plates.

Updated 3:53pm ET

Continue reading "Report: Hernandez possible suspect in 2012 double murder; may be related to Lloyd’s slaying"

Released by Patriots, Hernandez faces first degree murder charge, five weapons counts; bail denied

Aaron Hernandez was arrested Wednesday morning, paraded out of his North Attleborough, MA home in handcuffs; Hernandez's arraignment began at 2:40pm ET today and ran for 40 minutes.

He pleaded not guilty to six charges, including one count of first degree murder and five weapons counts in the execution-style death of 27-year-old semipro football player Odin Lloyd, and has been ordered held without bail.

The Patriots did not wait for the charges to be made public (we'll presume the team had an inkling) - they announced at 10:20am ET that they have released (waived, really) Hernandez.

According to Ian Rapoport, the Pats had decided as early as last week that if Hernandez were to be arrested, they would cut ties with the Florida alum.

Updated 7:53pm ET - more links added

Continue reading "Released by Patriots, Hernandez faces first degree murder charge, five weapons counts; bail denied"

ABC News: Hernandez arrest expected today

An arrest warrant has reportedly been issued Friday morning for Pats tight end Aaron Hernandez in connection with the execution-style murder of 27-year-old semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd.

According to CBS Boston, and as originally reported by WBZ NewsRadio 1030, Hernandez will be charged with obstruction of justice, with the possibility for upgraded or additional charges. The 23-year-old star has reportedly been uncooperative since retaining legal representation, and this charge is seen as being intended to compel his cooperation.

The warrant follows reports that Hernandez's cellphone and the hard drive for the video surveillance system at his home had been severely damaged, and that a cleaning crew had been brought to the house on Monday.

Updated 12:59pm ET

Continue reading "ABC News: Hernandez arrest expected today"

Broncos to re-sign Dan Koppen

As reported by Aaron Wilson, and announced by the team, the Broncos will re-sign center Dan Koppen in response to the continuing health problems of J.D. Walton.

Walton underwent surgery on Monday to replace hardware in his ailing ankle; an infection had apparently caused swelling in the area after the team's minicamp.

Koppen was originally signed by the Broncos to a one-year deal at the $825K minimum last September, just a few weeks before Walton suffered a fracture and disclocation of his left ankle.

Continue reading "Broncos to re-sign Dan Koppen"

Report: Neighbors heard gunshots just minutes before Hernandez entered house

Sports producer Steve Silva of Boston.com is reporting that Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez will be arrested in connection with the execution-style murder of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd. Sports Illustrated is reporting the same, while the Boston Globe says no arrest is imminent.

Lloyd's body was found Monday with a gunshot wound to the back of the head in an industrial park within a mile of Hernandez's MA residence. The 27-year-old Lloyd had reportedly been dating the sister of Hernandez's baby mama.

Continue reading "Report: Neighbors heard gunshots just minutes before Hernandez entered house"

Infection sends Walton to further surgery, likely to PUP list

According to Jeff Legwold, Broncos center J.D. Walton underwent another operation Monday on his ailing left ankle and may be lost for the season. A few minutes after his original tweet, Legwold adds that the team hopes to get Walton back by late October or early November.

Cecil Lammey of ESPN Denver suggests this could prompt the team to bring back Dan Koppen, who remains an unrestricted free agent.

Continue reading "Infection sends Walton to further surgery, likely to PUP list"

Ball, Webster sign; only Williams remains

The Broncos have signed second-rounder Montee Ball and third-rounder Kayvon Webster; only first-rounder Sylvester Williams remains unsigned.

Broncos cut Willis McGahee

Denver released veteran running back Willis McGahee on Thursday, as the team continues to go younger (and cheaper) at the position.

The 31-year-old back had been due a $2.5M salary this season and would have counted for $3M against the cap. According to Spotrac, McGahee's release will leave $500K in dead money on the books for each of the 2013 and 2014 seasons, while freeing up $2.5M in cap space in 2013 and $2M in 2014.

McGahee had not attended the team's voluntary OTAs, instead choosing to work out in Miami, before this week claiming "family obligations" were the cause.

Continue reading "Broncos cut Willis McGahee"

McGahee largely an observer as minicamp opens

Willis McGahee was back at Dove Valley on Tuesday, as expected, although he cited "family obligations" as the cause for his having missed all of Denver's (non-mandatory) OTAs.

Like they had during his absence, second-year back Ronnie Hillman and 2013 second-rounder Montee Ball received the bulk of the day's reps, with the veteran only seeing the field for what he called "a couple" of snaps.

Still, McGahee says he expects to be the starter come Week 1, even while acknowledging his place "on the bubble."

Continue reading "McGahee largely an observer as minicamp opens"

Broncos resume contract talks with Clady

Just a few hours ago, it was reported that the Broncos had not discussed a long-term deal with Ryan Clady since last July. According to Lindsay Jones, the team was waiting for their All-Pro left tackle's surgically repaired right shoulder to show progress in rehab before restarting contract talks.

It may be they've received positive reports to that effect, as Ian Rapoport reports that Denver contacted Clady's representatives today to discuss the parameters of a new contract. The Broncos applied their franchise tag to the 26-year-old BSU alum in March; the tender is worth $9.828M for one year, but Clady has not yet signed it. He said earlier today that he's likely to join the team for training camp; in February, Clady said he'd like to be paid similarly to fellow tackles Joe Thomas and Jason Peters.