Good Afternoon, Broncos fans! Yes, there is football news that's not directly related to Roger Goodell (although there is more of that below).
Unfortunately, the other news is actually worse.
Arizona defensive end John Abraham has taken a leave of absence from the team, citing severe memory loss and a flagging desire to play the game.
The Broncos have filled their practice squad vacancy by re-signing wideout Nathan Palmer, who was on the active roster for Week 1 (but was a game day inactive).
Oddly, they have not yet filled the opening on their 53-man roster, perhaps holding out hope for a last-minute reinstatement of Wes Welker.
But Welker cannot practice during his suspension, so we'd expect Palmer to end up back on the active roster within the next day or two.
It's open season on Roger Goodell.
Not only did the Chargers blow an 11-point fourth-quarter lead on Monday night, but they also lost their starting center, Nick Hardwick.
The 11th-year player had been troubled by stingers for much of 2013, and says he faced the possibility of suffering one weekly in 2014.
Well you knew this was coming. Liar Roger Goodell is doubling down on his attempts to cover his ass by launching an independent investigation into the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice evidence.
The NFL's full statement reads as follows:
Former FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III will conduct an independent investigation into the NFL's pursuit and handling of evidence in the Ray Rice domestic violence incident, Commissioner Roger Goodell announced tonight. Director Mueller's investigation will be overseen by NFL owners John Mara of the New York Giants and Art Rooney of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and the final report will be made public. Mara and Rooney are both attorneys. Commissioner Goodell pledged that Director Mueller will have the full cooperation of NFL personnel and access to all NFL records. Mueller served as director of the FBI for 12 years (2001-2013) under two presidents. He is currently a partner in the law firm of WilmerHale and is based in Washington, DC.
An anonymous law enforcement official tells the AP that he sent the Ray Rice elevator video to the NFL in April:
The official played The Associated Press a 12-second voicemail from an NFL office number on April 9 confirming the video arrived. A female voice expresses thanks and says: "You're right. It's terrible."
Good Morning, Broncos fans! At the end of this month, the FCC will vote on ending the NFL's blackout rule.
In an op-ed for USA Today, the agency's chairman, Tom Wheeler, explains why he supports an end to the antiquated rule:
With the first weekend of professional football in the books, two things should be abundantly clear: The NFL is king; and the Federal Communications Commission's sports blackout rules are obsolete and have to go.
The NFLPA's 32 team reps did not vote on the latest drug policy proposal on Tuesday, as they'd been expected to.
Among the sticking points is the league's desire to suspend players for DUI arrests, before they've been convicted of the crime.
For the first time in his career, Julius Thomas has been named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week.
Thomas caught seven passes for 104 yards and three touchdowns to key Denver's 31-24 win over Indy.
Broncos players earned the award five times in 2013 (Peyton Manning three times, Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker once each).
It's been particularly difficult this week to focus/care about last weekend's games, or any upcoming action.
The NFL is in crisis, and its commissioner is under fire.
Roger Goodell's bungling of the Ray Rice case is a watershed moment for the league.